Gardening in the middle of nowhere

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

durban kid

Blooming
User ID
great stuff looks dry have you got a bore its the only way i keep my garden going and we are down the south east in sa i wish i could grow the reaper down here out door that is its the same for my watermelons they just get going around now and we will get a frost soon, the next job is a green house so i can get the chilies and water melon going early,
never have issues with tomatoes here or garlic and funny but sunflowers love it so do the poppies we have a few in my town that grow some poppies white red pink its cool to see them bloom in front gardens around the town lol

Matsu

Vegetating
User ID
great stuff looks dry have you got a bore its the only way i keep my garden going and we are down the south east in sa i wish i could grow the reaper down here out door that is its the same for my watermelons they just get going around now and we will get a frost soon, the next job is a green house so i can get the chilies and water melon going early,
never have issues with tomatoes here or garlic and funny but sunflowers love it so do the poppies we have a few in my town that grow some poppies white red pink its cool to see them bloom in front gardens around the town lol
Thanks Durban kid, good to talk to a fellow South Aussie. Yes we have a bore, thank goodness otherwise we would have to truck water in. We get bad frosts too. I got all the vegies up in the hothouse, put them outside to harden up and we got that hail storm. Had to start over and then it was getting a bit late in the season. Got a massive crop of tomatoes though which is good. Got the missus making sauce, relish, tomato paste etc plus I have given away over 10 kg.
Good luck with your ventures and good job on the sunflowers! :)

Last edited:

durban kid

Blooming
User ID
hey matsu
tomatoes are great i love to try new variety's but i always have one or two black Russian plants going each year they are the king , making the sauces is good fun too nothing like a good home made sauce with some heat from the chillies,
i did wonder what you made your green house from did you make it your self if so do you have plans, we call ourselves dodgy risky constructions and all we build reflects that so it needs to be simple .

Matsu

Vegetating
User ID
hey matsu
tomatoes are great i love to try new variety's but i always have one or two black Russian plants going each year they are the king , making the sauces is good fun too nothing like a good home made sauce with some heat from the chillies,
i did wonder what you made your green house from did you make it your self if so do you have plans, we call ourselves dodgy risky constructions and all we build reflects that so it needs to be simple .
Hey mate, I normally grow black russians but gave them a miss this year to try the San Marzano and Aztec varieties.
I designed and made the shadehouse/hothouse. I made it out of 25mm square tube and welded it all up. the worst part was painting it. I bought the shadecloth and solarpro hothouse material from Independent Cut Length (ICL S.A. Pty Ltd) at Regency park. I also put guard tape along the edges of the hothouse where the plastic rubs on the metal. (You lose the warranty on solarpro if you dont use the tape.)
My design was flawed for the hothouse cause I made a flat roof in the middle which traps any rain and is hard to get rid of (I just wanted something different from a straight pitched roof.) The whole structure is 6m long by 3m wide by 2.4m high. The shadehouse is 3.3m long and the hothouse 2.7m long. I cant find the plans but I welded up the 5 panels then joined them together. I painted it once it was all welded up properly.
DSCN5973.JPG
DSCN5974.JPG
DSCN5975.JPG
DSCN5976.JPG
DSCN5977.JPG
DSCN5979.JPG
DSCN5980.JPG
DSCN5981.JPGDSCN5982.JPG
DSCN5983.JPG
DSCN5984.JPG

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Hey mate, I normally grow black russians but gave them a miss this year to try the San Marzano and Aztec varieties.
I designed and made the shadehouse/hothouse. I made it out of 25mm square tube and welded it all up. the worst part was painting it. I bought the shadecloth and solarpro hothouse material from Independent Cut Length (ICL S.A. Pty Ltd) at Regency park. I also put guard tape along the edges of the hothouse where the plastic rubs on the metal. (You lose the warranty on solarpro if you dont use the tape.)
My design was flawed for the hothouse cause I made a flat roof in the middle which traps any rain and is hard to get rid of (I just wanted something different from a straight pitched roof.) The whole structure is 6m long by 3m wide by 2.4m high. The shadehouse is 3.3m long and the hothouse 2.7m long. I cant find the plans but I welded up the 5 panels then joined them together. I painted it once it was all welded up properly.
View attachment 22318
View attachment 22319
View attachment 22320
View attachment 22321
View attachment 22322
View attachment 22324
View attachment 22325
View attachment 22326View attachment 22327
View attachment 22328
View attachment 22329
Awesome set-up and place you got mate!! 👍👍

durban kid

Blooming
User ID
yes great set up have you tried to run a bit or weld mesh across that top give it a curve if you have the film available or even poly agg pipe and a reo bar inside to make it bend or my favourite a stripper pole in the middle to grow beans up lif the roof a little lol when i get the dogy risky brothers construction up and started i will put up some pics

Matsu

Vegetating
User ID
Awesome set-up and place you got mate!! 👍👍
cheers Porky! :)

Yeah that's a wicked greenhouse matsu, nice job
Thanks Sooty! :)

yes great set up have you tried to run a bit or weld mesh across that top give it a curve if you have the film available or even poly agg pipe and a reo bar inside to make it bend or my favourite a stripper pole in the middle to grow beans up lif the roof a little lol when i get the dogy risky brothers construction up and started i will put up some pics
Cheers Durban kid. Some good ideas there. I"ll have to work something out. (y)(y)

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Having lunch at Cape Jervis hotel at the moment, been travelling down from Adelaide..

So dry down here. Great bud finishing weather ;)

Matsu

Vegetating
User ID
Having lunch at Cape Jervis hotel at the moment, been travelling down from Adelaide..

So dry down here. Great bud finishing weather ;)
Cape Jervis is a nice spot. We haven't got any of the rain the Eastern States have had.

Top Bottom