fresh seed wont germinate

old guy

Germinating
User ID
I have fresh Indica seeds. Organic outdoor. They are fat and healthy looking but only two from 8 germinated. After a week dug non germinated up. They haven't changed. Seed case seems very hard.

Anyone know how to get thru this hard casing? boiling water???

The parent seed germinated in three days.

Cheers

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
I have fresh Indica seeds. Organic outdoor. They are fat and healthy looking but only two from 8 germinated. After a week dug non germinated up. They haven't changed. Seed case seems very hard.

Anyone know how to get thru this hard casing? boiling water???

The parent seed germinated in three days.

Cheers
Little sand with wet/dry paper along the seam should do the job, or at least speed it up.

Last edited:

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Chuck them in some wet paper towel in a bowl and fold the towel over the seeds, put some cling wrap over the bowl and put it on something that will stay warm (led driver/ballast or seedling heat mat). I have had great success with this method

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
def don't use boiling water

if they have already been in moist soil then put the seeds in a shot glass of water & see if they sink or float
if they sink fairly quickly after being put in water , that generally means the seed is either no good or something went wrong during the germination process in soil , like , seed got too dry

also if they sink the seed has cracked & sand paper is not needed

Indy

Misfit
User ID
If you're trying to germinate 12 or less seeds, you are probably better off sticking to germinating them first in wet paper towel, cup of water, etc... that way you can see how they're progressing, And once the tap roots are out, get them into your chosen grow media before the tap root get a inch long. I usually get them in once a 1/4-1/2 inch is out preferably.

But yeah, the old school way you seemed to have went with. Is something i'd only do if i was trying to strike 20-30 seeds in a broccoli box with potting mix, or similar. Each to their own though. (y)

old guy

Germinating
User ID
If you're trying to germinate 12 or less seeds, you are probably better off sticking to germinating them first in wet paper towel, cup of water, etc... that way you can see how they're progressing, And once the tap roots are out, get them into your chosen grow media before the tap root get a inch long. I usually get them in once a 1/4-1/2 inch is out preferably.

But yeah, the old school way you seemed to have went with. Is something i'd only do if i was trying to strike 20-30 seeds in a broccoli box with potting mix, or similar. Each to their own though. (y)
Thanks. I usually have no trouble. The seeds developed thru very dry times. Maybe that's it.

Kneeko

Blooming
User ID
+1 for scarify… Sand paper in a small tube facing in and shake for a min to make it easier for waterto get thru hard seed casing or scape gentley with a knife around lips of seed.
Then ph some water thats had a touch of 3% peroxide added and keep them warm 24c-ish.

Sometimes… if seeds are harvested too early, they haven’t stored enough carbs for thier first few days of sprouting and grow a 1-2mm tap root then stall…

benn0

Baked
User ID
scarifying has worked a treat for me, i roll some up sandpaper up into a tube, place the seed inside, hold one end with my thumb and the other end with my index finger then goto town shaking

Top Bottom