Foxtailing and finishing

nici

Germinating
User ID
Hi all just wanted to see what everyones opinions were on foxtailing late in flower. I've got a couple of C99 x Hindu Kush just going on 9 weeks and noticed a middle branch bud with the beginnings a foxtailing. Reading around it seems everyone has a different idea about foxtailing and whether it's good, bad or ugly, but an interesting post I found said that foxtailing late can be used as a sign they're ready for harvest -

"I have used the beginning of foxtailing as a sign that my plant is finished, and I sometimes get a little green horn, about a 1/2 inch long, growing out of the bud's tip. This is from old landrace strains that don't normally foxtail until the very very end. With foxtailing becoming commonplace, like pistils showing during vegging, it gets a little more difficult to determine when something is truly finished".

What's your thoughts on that? Trics are 80-90% milky with amber just starting to appear so the theory could have legs?

IMG_20210120_9384.jpg

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Used to get a bit of it at times when finishing up a AK47 x Sensi Skunk cross in the last week or two, though it didn't seem detrimental to the the crop, apart from taking a bit of eye appeal away from the crop overall.

But yeah, looks well seeded that bud.

nici

Germinating
User ID
If she's seeded it's got to be fem pollen because I've gone over her with a fine tooth comb and there's no nannas I can see unless they're packed between the calyxes 🤔

Mellow oldfark

Trichome Enthusiast
User ID
Very small balls or pollen sacks they will be low down on lower branches.
You have mature seeds exploding from their calaxes.
I'd imagine pollinated about 5 + weeks ago at a guess.
You will find them if you look carefully.✌

nici

Germinating
User ID
Thanks all I'll check again tonight. TBH my first thoughts were she's seeded but even though they're bursting out they're very green seeds and the pistil is still firmly attached, I've only ever seen the pistils drop off once they're pollinated.

nici

Germinating
User ID
Checked the lady over tonight and I can't see balls or nannas anywhere. I pulled one of the pods and it's very immature if they are seeds, green soft and took a bit of effort to pluck from the calyx. While looking her over I did see some upper buds foxtailing. I guess I'll just have to wait a week and see if the seeds mature or not, as I've already started flushing and if there's no change she's coming down in a week. Apologies to the light sensitive for that last image the colour is a bit intense.

IMG_20210120_156.jpg

IMG_20210120_45191.jpg

IMG_20210120_21730.jpg

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Do me as a seed, nici.

My tip if you want to harvest them, but it is a bit of a concern because you don't know where the pollen came from, there's a chance it might still be hermi.

But if you want to have a crack. Like oldfark mentioned, once the calyx split and the seeds are browning off well (at the top) that's when i'll usually harvest the bud. Then i'll dry the bud off naturally, then de-seed the bud and leave the seeds in a bowl to cure for another month or so in a cool dry well ventilated location, and swirl the bowl around every few days so to mix the seed around. Then bag them up for safe keeping somewhere.

Fortunately i don't usually have a rodent problem. but if you do, you might want find a better option than drying in a bowl like i do.

Hope it all turns out well for you, nici. 🙂

nici

Germinating
User ID
Had another look tonight and most of the bud on the plant seems to be seeded, but the weird thing is the second plant of the same strain in the same tent is all sensimilla?!?! You would think with them being in the one tent with a fan they'd both be seedy if there was stray pollen around 🤔

Going to keep them going for a couple more weeks and see if the seeds mature at all.

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
i thought seed too

foxtailing imo is possibly excess light , not only intensity but intensity + time
look up DLI Daily Light Integral , Jeremy at buildasoil just put up a vid on the buildasoil facebook page (posted 21/01/21) in regards to calculating DLI , very handy to have a light meter , preferably a par meter ( not cheap ) if your using blurple led lights ,. lux meters finds it difficult to give accurate readings with blurple led's , the buildasoil vid is well worth the watch

" Daily Light Integral (DLI) represents the total photosynthetically active radiation accumulated over one day. ⠀

Since plants are essentially accumulators of solar radiation, this measurement is extremely useful for describing solar radiation as it affects plant growth. " ⠀

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Makes sense, itchy. probably why my foxtailing occured with the old 600w HPS in a cooltube. I could ge it about a foot off the canopy before i'd started to notice bleaching, so i'm guessing foxtailing could be a symptom of being that litte bit further out. 🤔

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
hey indy

my first indoor for some time recently , using a led along with 2 hid's either side , ( led is a 680w Fluence Spydrx Plus running @ 80% power )

with many saying move your led close to the canopy i found that to be untrue in the currant setup i have ( keeping in mind the intensity of the added 2 hid's )

admittedly i could have moved the lights a little further apart from each other which would have given me more / better coverage , the way they were gave me a bit more intensity , as it turned out i def didn't need

i was also using blumat which i thought was the problem why the plants looked droopy , i figured my setting up of them was causing over watering , the plants were lush & green & the droopyness didn't quite look like over watering but they were drooping the soil was moist so i went with blumat setup error being the problem

anyways after messing round with them for a few days & still not working it out i decided to start looking elsewhere to find the source of the droop

first move was to lift the lights to get them out of the way while i possibly pulled things apart for a reset . 30min later after lifting the lights plants were praying , well get fucked !

luckily i hadn't started pulling the blumat system apart by the time i noticed the plants looking healthy

so every time we say to ourselves " that humidity will be fine " or " that exhaust will be enough " , know that your choices have an effect , in one way or another , big or small , everything has a direct or flow on effect like maybe foxtailing & too much light , not guaranteeing it's light intensity that is the cause of foxtailing , i'm saying it's a possible cause
could be a combination of things not just light

Top Bottom