DWC to soil

rippa_trippa

Seedling
User ID
hi
i have been growing in dwc(deep water culture) last 3 years
i have had some success but i live in a warm aussie climate
and keeping the water around 17c-19c i have carbon exhaust fans ect but without a cooling system($$$)
has been a nightmare during the warmer months.

so i want to try soil under led's in smart pots,indoors
i know alot about hydro feeding but nothing of soil feed

is it true live soil is a all in one without the need for npk?or micro additives?
for the life of the plant? maybe some folier spray here and there im guessing to correct deficiencys
or
shall i go for the more traditional soil and use a balanced once a week feed schedule and use a tea for micro's?
im no noob to growing i grew blue dreamatics and got a healthy 6 oz in winter months so im really keen to see what i can grow in soil without my water temp issues...

any pointers on soil that other aussie growers use or tips to get me up and running would be awesome..

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
I use soli. I find it extremely easy to use.
I get a premium blend from my local landscape place add mushroom compost and horse shit if it's available at the time. It's not a living soil as I use nutes through the grow but not much.
If temps are a problem then soil would suit you well as I try to keep my tent as warm as possible to promote growth.
You won't get the explosive veg growth you get from RDWC or DWC it they working properly but they still grow just fine.
Give it a try mate!!

Ganja Kaiser

Baked
User ID
I grow in soil. I've only used Gro-Dirt living soil. Excellent stuff. But next grow I'm using Easy Organics living soil.

Danno

Germinating
User ID
I have a couple compost heaps on the go at all times, one still composting, one fully composted. I put garden prunings, vege scraps, lawn clippings, anything that will compost goes in......a cubic mt would get 20 kg dynamic lift, 10 kg of blood and bone, (already have wood ash in compost heap) and a liberal sprinkling of dolomite lime.
From this I make a mix of 10 lts compost to 5 lts vermiculite, 5 litres perlite and 3 litres sphagnum moss.....that mix is perfect for the entire life of the plant. I add in some mycelium spores when planting. If you get a real heavy feeder then you can mix in some worm tea or charlie carp to the watering schedule. I water mine with a wand on the hose. About mid flower I sometimes give them some honey.
Pros of this are simplicity.....if lights and airflow are dialled in then its a piece of piss to grow great tasting smoothe strong weed that is, IMO, on a diff level to hydro. Also, you wont have to fuck around with amendments, then flushing it out cause the coco just fucks everything up.
Cons.....longer grow times and less yield than hydro......however the diff is not huge.
I live on a bit of land in the country so its kind of a way of life here.....only grow a few ganja plants but have a fucking huge garden, orchard, parkland etc so always putting compost back in the ground for the plants.

Raniformis

Curing
User ID
I use a heap of soil outside, I actually prefer it to other mediums, you'll notice a richer flavour which most certainly contributes to quality but not an inrease in quality.

You can only get so stoned and all the cones in the world don't get you anymore stoned. It's marketing bullshit.

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
hey Danno
slight difference in opinion
honey is antibacterial & prob not the best choice if your wanting a biologically active soil

i'd suggest getting some Rapadura sugar https://wholefoodsmelbourne.com/product/organic-rapadura-sugar-1kg/ & use a little as a top dress
this sugar is the least processed & has not had the molasses extracted

i have to disagree with you when it comes to your cons " longer grow times & less yield " is not my experience
although it has been in the past but once soil biology is thriving , growth rates & yield are just as good imho

inconsistent moisture , too much or too little , kills or changes soil biology & this is the biggest killer of growth , yield
& plant self protection against pest & pathogen

Danno

Germinating
User ID
hey Danno
slight difference in opinion
honey is antibacterial & prob not the best choice if your wanting a biologically active soil

i'd suggest getting some Rapadura sugar https://wholefoodsmelbourne.com/product/organic-rapadura-sugar-1kg/ & use a little as a top dress
this sugar is the least processed & has not had the molasses extracted

i have to disagree with you when it comes to your cons " longer grow times & less yield " is not my experience
although it has been in the past but once soil biology is thriving , growth rates & yield are just as good imho

inconsistent moisture , too much or too little , kills or changes soil biology & this is the biggest killer of growth , yield
& plant self protection against pest & pathogen
Soil biology, yes very important.....I dont seem to have any issues with pest or pathogen at all, thankfully......I put it down to healthy plants with strong immunity and/or self protection etc.

Top Bottom