DIY lights

Hudo

Baked
User ID
Anyone build there own lights?
My current set-up (built about 5 years ago) consists of 8 cree cxb3590 cd bin from cutter in a 4×4 it performs well it's no beauty queen and there all individually hung from ratchets but I can move them at different heights without raising all of them. getting to the point I pulled them out today after being stored for a year and dropped 2 doh and they now don't fire has anyone built a cutter strip light? I'm thinking of upgrading now instead of buying 2 more cobs to replace them and the data for the $ on the strip kits is good

Last edited:

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

R3za92

Baked
User ID
Anyone build there own lights?
My current set-up (built about 5 years ago) consists of 8 cree cxb3590 cd bin from cutter in a 4×4 it performs well it's no beauty queen and there all individually hung from ratchets but I can move them at different heights without raising all of them. getting to the point I pulled them out today after being stored for a year and dropped 2 doh and they now don't fire has anyone built a cutter strip light? I'm thinking of upgrading now instead of buying 2 more cobs to replace them and the data for the $ on the strip kits is good
I haven’t used cutter in a while. Theirs customer service sucked ass last time I used them. Took forever to pack the order and send it. Took forever to respond to emails when they sent me the wrong strips.

I’ve been using the grown lights Australia boards both the gen1 and 420 boards and I plan on buying another 2 420 boards when I get a chance. They also had Samsung strips pretty cheap last time I looked and have their own strips currently in development that will share the same specs as the 420 boards.

Hudo

Baked
User ID
I haven’t used cutter in a while. Theirs customer service sucked ass last time I used them. Took forever to pack the order and send it. Took forever to respond to emails when they sent me the wrong strips.

I’ve been using the grown lights Australia boards both the gen1 and 420 boards and I plan on buying another 2 420 boards when I get a chance. They also had Samsung strips pretty cheap last time I looked and have their own strips currently in development that will share the same specs as the 420 boards.
Right been 5 years since I dealt with them. I hadn't heard of grow lights Australia will check them out cheers

R3za92

Baked
User ID
Right been 5 years since I dealt with them. I hadn't heard of grow lights Australia will check them out cheers
Based in Perth. They’re doing there own designs and sourcing their own diodes and not just copying hlg like everyone else. Their 420 boards have uv and far red built in. I like them for a few reasons over hlg mostly because the pcb’s are larger so the diodes are more spaced out so dissipate heat better.

Hudo

Baked
User ID
Its ARSE ya dopey wannabe Americano cocksucker ^^
What's arse
Based in Perth. They’re doing there own designs and sourcing their own diodes and not just copying hlg like everyone else. Their 420 boards have uv and far red built in. I like them for a few reasons over hlg mostly because the pcb’s are larger so the diodes are more spaced out so dissipate heat better.
So no heat sinks or alloy sheet needed ? Samsung H series

Secretchief

Vegetating
User ID
I am running some kingbrite stuff from aliexpress, there is alot of reviews out there and they use lm301h with proper AB meanwell drivers, parts or full kits cheaper than you will find anywhere, definitely give them a look

Reactions: pug

R3za92

Baked
User ID
So no heat sinks or alloy sheet needed ? Samsung H series
Depends on how hard you drive them. Personally I’d just mount them to some aluminium c Channel or rhs frames. Most to add rigidity to the strips but also to heatsink and get better performance out of the strips.

Hudo

Baked
User ID
I am running some kingbrite stuff from aliexpress, there is alot of reviews out there and they use lm301h with proper AB meanwell drivers, parts or full kits cheaper than you will find anywhere, definitely give them a look
I'll have a look was the delivery time ?

thefullspectrum

Curing
Community Member
User ID
I made my contraption in an Aluminium frame with lm301h V3 q boards and heatsinks from various sellers on Ali express. Gotta look around for the good deals. The more you buy the cheaper they get. Usually free delivery, took about 2-3 weeks. Got some meanwell drivers from ebay.

Added a 30w QB20 UV/IR booster strip/driver diy kit from kingbrite Alibaba. They had free shipping at the time but normally dont. You can try and haggle them for a better deal through message too, Well worth a shot for multiple items. Took 2-3 weeks delivery (twice, the first send was damaged!)

I initially built my light with 400w of various spec dimmable cobs, but retrofitted the above for better efficiency. Too much heat and too little ppfd from the shit cobs I'd used. Theyre no Cree.

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
There was a place called Timber ,they sold kits but I can’t find them ,only another place with same name but not selling kits just premade lights,
Anyone know of them ,,if they are still around ?

Secretchief

Vegetating
User ID
I made my contraption in an Aluminium frame with lm301h V3 q boards and heatsinks from various sellers on Ali express. Gotta look around for the good deals. The more you buy the cheaper they get. Usually free delivery, took about 2-3 weeks. Got some meanwell drivers from ebay.

Added a 30w QB20 UV/IR booster strip/driver diy kit from kingbrite Alibaba. They had free shipping at the time but normally dont. You can try and haggle them for a better deal through message too, Well worth a shot for multiple items. Took 2-3 weeks delivery (twice, the first send was damaged!)

I initially built my light with 400w of various spec dimmable cobs, but retrofitted the above for better efficiency. Too much heat and too little ppfd from the shit cobs I'd used. Theyre no Cree.
They often have different deals through AliExpress vs Alibaba but the AliExpress is easier to order through. I also recommend getting white panels and seperate Cree reds.

Hudo

Baked
User ID

Cheers for the info the cxb 3590 kick arse but it's a pain in the arse to set up I didn't use the $90 nice little heat sinks I scored 12 240w cob high bay lights with filthy big heat sinks and meanwell drivers and hook 4 cxb's up to one 240watt driver so they pull 60w each or 40ish when dimmed down and qith those heat sinks stay as cool as buggery . If I had of made it on a frame it would weigh about 24kg lol but instead of it costing around 1400 I built it for the price of the cobs which was 380 from memory 20220623_122644.jpg20220623_122707.jpg

R3za92

Baked
User ID
There was a place called Timber ,they sold kits but I can’t find them ,only another place with same name but not selling kits just premade lights,
Anyone know of them ,,if they are still around ?
Same Company. They just sell pre mades now.

R3za92

Baked
User ID
Diodes seem genuine.
There zero way of telling that unless you have a sphere tester etc worth a few hundred thousand. It’s why you get what you pay for with the Chinese boards. Same with the pcb quality. The Chinese boards are well known for cheaping if our on the copper and putting in thinner trace layers.

They’ll still grow but you get what you really pay for

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Same Company. They just sell pre mades now.

makes sense as I wondered how they got away with using the same name😂

shame though ,they use to have a good range of K starting at 2200 K iirc.

Top Bottom