curing in buckets?

Harry bootlace

Baked
Community Member
User ID
anyone use buckets to cure larger amounts?
if so, any advise on what to get and where?
I am assuming food grade, with airtight lid.
and a shit load of bovida packs?

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
you can spend the big buck & get a Cannatrol , seen this the other day , they are selling here in oz for $4 grand

https://www.drgreenthumbs.com.au/products/cannatrol-cool-cure-for-drying-curing-storing

if i won lotto i'd buy one to have a play for sure , as well as a freeze dryer https://www.omegastore.com/supplies...d&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:&catalogMode:&

at it's basic though it's the control of heat , humidity & light , first no light to very little light from start to smoke , then if you can keep heat around 16c which seems to be the latest number , i used to keep temps no higher than 26c but there are volatile terps that have low boiling points for one of a better term , that can gas off easily but not easy at below 20c

humidity has always been around 60% imo , humidity is sort of like a accelerator pedal , the lower the humidity the faster moisture would leave plant matter given a particular temp , temp & humidity go hand in hand so the higher the temp combined with lower humidity the faster the dry = lesser the final product quality , the same with low temps & higher humidity = slower dry time & also lesser quality imho

you want a " Slower " but steady dry = a quality final product , we're talking about terps here mostly , do you need to do that ? well in my opinion yes , because a think it adds to the pleasure of smoking in the same way a wine lover will enjoy one wine over another , will a bud that's lost it's terps get you high ? yes absolutely , would that high be as enjoyable ? imho no

so if you think terps are important to you then drying in the dark , sticking somewhere round 16c & 60% humidity for around 10 to 14 days or till stems snap clean then add buds to a jar or bucket in a air tight container for storage , fill a smaller jar or container with your smoke so you don't keep opening the storage jar , bucket , container all the time & don't use boveda packs imo , i did use them for a long time but would choose not to use them now because they alter what's in the storage container over time imo

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
I seen that too after listening to his podcast.
Did a google and nearly choked at the prices tag. Amazing product but no way I could afford that atm.
Maybe after a couple of years it drops in price.

OZIOZIAUTO

Baked
Community Member
User ID
you can spend the big buck & get a Cannatrol , seen this the other day , they are selling here in oz for $4 grand

https://www.drgreenthumbs.com.au/products/cannatrol-cool-cure-for-drying-curing-storing

if i won lotto i'd buy one to have a play for sure , as well as a freeze dryer https://www.omegastore.com/supplies...d&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:&catalogMode:&

at it's basic though it's the control of heat , humidity & light , first no light to very little light from start to smoke , then if you can keep heat around 16c which seems to be the latest number , i used to keep temps no higher than 26c but there are volatile terps that have low boiling points for one of a better term , that can gas off easily but not easy at below 20c

humidity has always been around 60% imo , humidity is sort of like a accelerator pedal , the lower the humidity the faster moisture would leave plant matter given a particular temp , temp & humidity go hand in hand so the higher the temp combined with lower humidity the faster the dry = lesser the final product quality , the same with low temps & higher humidity = slower dry time & also lesser quality imho

you want a " Slower " but steady dry = a quality final product , we're talking about terps here mostly , do you need to do that ? well in my opinion yes , because a think it adds to the pleasure of smoking in the same way a wine lover will enjoy one wine over another , will a bud that's lost it's terps get you high ? yes absolutely , would that high be as enjoyable ? imho no

so if you think terps are important to you then drying in the dark , sticking somewhere round 16c & 60% humidity for around 10 to 14 days or till stems snap clean then add buds to a jar or bucket in a air tight container for storage , fill a smaller jar or container with your smoke so you don't keep opening the storage jar , bucket , container all the time & don't use boveda packs imo , i did use them for a long time but would choose not to use them now because they alter what's in the storage container over time imo
Now that's pretty cool
Great info for the future

Harry bootlace

Baked
Community Member
User ID

Thanks. So a food grade bucket when dried would be ok and as to say smaller jar for day to day use. Thanks.

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Thanks. So a food grade bucket when dried would be ok and as to say smaller jar for day to day use. Thanks.
I moved away from glass a few years ago ,,they take up too much room and don’t stack as easy ,,
now I use plastic kitchen containers with good sealing lids like Sistema brand .So any food grade container is ok ..

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Buckets will be fine. Someone swing us a few half pound grove bags a while ago so I've been using them lately. I'm lazy so I just dry until it's holding 65% in a container and then throw it into a grove bag . I like to think the semi permeable membrane does some magic. It definately stabilises back to 60-63% quickly after letting dry or wet air in.

They end up costing as much as a half decent food grade container these days and makes me feel like I'm one of the cool 420 kids with all the jazz. I'll probs grab a few.

People seem to like their shit delivered in the grove bags as well.

Harry bootlace

Baked
Community Member
User ID
2DD7BF81-4C71-4A84-9CCB-1A7963EA6D60.jpegOk well I got a few of these and if the consensus is they will work I’ll get more.
Not too big but will save time over burping dozens of mason jars. Presumably black would be better but I’ll just store in the dark anyway.
Bpa free ( don’t really know what bpa is but anyway) and food safe.

Might store my dried chillies and regular herbs I can dry in these also. Got so much stuff in the garden I can’t use fast enough.

Thanks all

Indy

Misfit
User ID
I moved away from glass a few years ago ,,they take up too much room and don’t stack as easy ,,
now I use plastic kitchen containers with good sealing lids like Sistema brand .So any food grade container is ok ..
When we used to get Catering supplies like seasonings, spices, etc.. they used to come in these black 5L buckets. Honestly, the aroma.. Nothing comes close to popping the lid of one of them buckets chock full of bud. :cool:

Stackr

Baked
Community Member
User ID
I have a few of the smaller ones, they seem to work quite well. The lids seal very good, at least while they are new.

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Yeah, thats why I don't have them now, the lids eventually split after excessive use. Did get about 10 years out of them though.

Stevil

Germinating
User ID

My search after that showed a cabinet for keeping camera equipment dry. Keeps it up to 60% rh. $500. Seems to do the same job at a non cannibus price. 500 was with delivery.

Last edited:
Top Bottom