Coding for kids

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Bit off topic, but does anyone have any experience with coding classes/apps for kids?

My little fella did an online intro to coding today with byjus future school. Was an online, one on one class. He loved it.

Google reveals there are quite a few options, so if anyone has done the research, please let me know :)

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Anoma

Resident Celebrity
Community Member
User ID
edX are quite reputable, they're partnered with some major universities and mostly explain stuff really well.

You don't have to pay anything unless you want a formal certificate and the free version is the same but you have to complete a course in 3 months, which should be plenty of time.

Or there's CodeCombat which is an easy intro to Python if I remember correctly, aimed at young people.

Plenty more out there, check out the programming subreddits, there should be plenty of reputable recommendations there too.

Jiffy

Blooming
User ID
Recommend " Scratch "

" Scratch is a high-level block-based visual programming language and website targeted primarily at children 8–16 as an educational tool for programming. Users on the site, called Scratchers, can create projects on the website using a block-like interface. "

Anoma

Resident Celebrity
Community Member
User ID
Recommend " Scratch "
I'm pretty sure Harvard use that in their CS50 Intro to Computer Science. Just in the beginning to introduce newbies to programming concepts, then they ramp it up from there.

Jiffy

Blooming
User ID
Must be one hell of a ramp up. :ROFLMAO:

I cant really code, more hack code together. like being able to read, but not write. :p

Anoma

Resident Celebrity
Community Member
User ID
Yeah it can be. They upload their lectures on YouTube so it's like you're in the auditorium with the actual students. The lecturers are pretty good.

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Would've thought python would be the go still. Looked at it once, but never had the time to throw myself into it. So the idea got dropped like a hot spud.

The little coding that I got into years ago for HTML pages and game files were all done with notepad. Oh how times have changed. 😄

Top Bottom