Cannabis Evolution and Ethnobotany by Merlin and Clarke

ED-209

Vegetating
User ID
I wasn't sure where to share this one - but I thought given it's a review I'd throw it here.

I'm reading (finally) a copy of Cannabis Evolution and Ethnobotany by Merlin and Clarke (https://www.ucpress.edu/book/9780520292482/cannabis). I picked this up a few years ago and it's sat mostly on my shelf, only having looked at a few things here and there. I'm now going cover to cover and a few chapters in thus far.

Wowee this is a good read. So far I've learned a lot about the evolution and history of the genus and how it has come to be associated with humans. It may not be of interest to the casual grower, but for those with a more keen botanical interest, highly recommend this comprehensive volume covering the genus in great detail. I'll follow this up with more thoughts as I progress through the book.

Interestingly, based on the description of the evolution of the genus from its point of origin (as best can be determined) - the simplistic terms of species notation (Sativa and Indica) really doesn't do justice the variation of the primary phenotypes this plant has. The authors describe three species (the previously mentioned and are accepting of Ruderalis) but go further to describe within each of the species, broad leaf and narrow leaf hemp, broad and narrow leaf drug varieties as well as their ancestors. And have just covered the section describing the various associated chemotypes which have arisen due to human selection and dispersal around the world giving rise to the typical landraces and cultivated varieties of the modern era. I am keen to progress to where they cover off the most recent cultivation and selective breeding aspects.

I'd recommend that those prospective readers do have some sort of horticultural/botanical background as it probably goes a bit beyond the layman's knowledge set - but it isn't a hard read. Good stuff!

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now
Top Bottom