Cannabinoids Block Cellular Entry of SARS-CoV-2 and the Emerging Variants

Pikey

Baked
User ID
College of Pharmacy, Oregon State University has done some interesting research :unsure:

Link to National Library of Medicine -> https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35007072/

Cannabinoids Block Cellular Entry of SARS-CoV-2 and the Emerging Variants
Richard B van Breemen 1, Ruth N Muchiri 1, Timothy A Bates 2, Jules B Weinstein 2, Hans C Leier 2, Scotland Farley 2, Fikadu G Tafesse 2
Affiliations expand
PMID: 35007072 DOI: 10.1021/acs.jnatprod.1c00946

Abstract :

As a complement to vaccines, small-molecule therapeutic agents are needed to treat or prevent infections by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus-2 (SARS-CoV-2) and its variants, which cause COVID-19. Affinity selection-mass spectrometry was used for the discovery of botanical ligands to the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein. Cannabinoid acids from hemp (Cannabis sativa) were found to be allosteric as well as orthosteric ligands with micromolar affinity for the spike protein. In follow-up virus neutralization assays, cannabigerolic acid and cannabidiolic acid prevented infection of human epithelial cells by a pseudovirus expressing the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein and prevented entry of live SARS-CoV-2 into cells. Importantly, cannabigerolic acid and cannabidiolic acid were equally effective against the SARS-CoV-2 alpha variant B.1.1.7 and the beta variant B.1.351. Orally bioavailable and with a long history of safe human use, these cannabinoids, isolated or in hemp extracts, have the potential to prevent as well as treat infection by SARS-CoV-2.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
Cool.
Light smoker here. Fill the vape up and that’s usually enough. Or maybe go a second time. It depends on what I need to do the next day really.

It was only a matter of time until a canna related study to rona came out. Good work.

Maybe the canna leaf juicing will be the go then 😆

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Cool.
Light smoker here. Fill the vape up and that’s usually enough. Or maybe go a second time. It depends on what I need to do the next day really.

It was only a matter of time until a canna related study to rona came out. Good work.

Maybe the canna leaf juicing will be the go then 😆

You had the rona yeah? How did it go?

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
I was reading about this earlier and basically you need to use raw undecarbed plant material because it's cba and cbg (I think) that does the job they're talking about, smoking unfortunately doesn't help. Not gonna stop me from trying though 🤣🤣

sshhhhh. lol

RiverRat

Blooming
User ID
I was reading about this earlier and basically you need to use raw undecarbed plant material because it's cba and cbg (I think) that does the job they're talking about, smoking unfortunately doesn't help. Not gonna stop me from trying though 🤣🤣
Will leaf do the trick?

RiverRat

Blooming
User ID
"To obtain high yields of CBGA, cannabis must be harvested in its earlier vegetative stage, before the compound converts into THC and CBD. Maximizing CBGA production means sacrificing THC and CBD levels. However, researchers have also recently uncovered a way to synthesize CBGA from yeast."

Seems like they're both derived from leaf in the vegetative stage.

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
cant remember what strain but I have seen one they said was high in CBG,,,,,,how different to CBGA ,,I has no ideas.

Top Bottom