Can we have an Introduction section so new members can introduce themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugar

Baked
User ID
I know some of the old members and how they came to be here but there are lots of other members who have joined I know diddly squat about or how they came to be here or their experience as growers etc and I think it would be nice to have a section for new members to introduce themselves here.
Thanks

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Pretty sure I started this after you had joined Sugar, but new members are now automatically sent a PM, as follows:

Hi and welcome to The Serrated Edge.

We are a community for discussion and sharing on all things Cannabis related.
Please explore the site and feel free to share your experiences.

If you would like to introduce yourself, here is a great place to start a thread.

Or, just drop in to chat and say hi.

Your privacy is our priority. The site is hosted in Europe, all data is encrypted. Any images you post in the forum or on chat will have the exif data automatically removed.

Now you are a member, you will also be able to view members Grow Diaries and be eligible to place
entries in the monthly competitions, with some great prizes on offer.

You will also notice our sponsors images. Members have access to exclusive discounts, with new
sponsors being added regularly.

If you have any questions, issue or suggestions, please check out the site troubleshooting section.

We welcome and encourage feedback to build a better community.

Thank you,

Team TSE.

vostok

Blooming
User ID
The site might have even more members should the Mod do his job and reduce the
'Shit, Fuck, Cunt, bloody, typical obscene language,
but few will listen until the Advertizers walk, ...by then it will be too late

Sugar

Baked
User ID
Pretty sure I started this after you had joined Sugar, but new members are now automatically sent a PM, as follows:

Hi and welcome to The Serrated Edge.

We are a community for discussion and sharing on all things Cannabis related.
Please explore the site and feel free to share your experiences.

If you would like to introduce yourself, here is a great place to start a thread.

Or, just drop in to chat and say hi.

Your privacy is our priority. The site is hosted in Europe, all data is encrypted. Any images you post in the forum or on chat will have the exif data automatically removed.

Now you are a member, you will also be able to view members Grow Diaries and be eligible to place
entries in the monthly competitions, with some great prizes on offer.

You will also notice our sponsors images. Members have access to exclusive discounts, with new
sponsors being added regularly.

If you have any questions, issue or suggestions, please check out the site troubleshooting section.

We welcome and encourage feedback to build a better community.

Thank you,

Team TSE.
Thanks Billy, it isn't working and when a new member goes to that link which takes them to the Environment section, they don't see any others introducing themselves or even a sticky thread saying *Introduce Yourself Here* for example.
Is there any reason why we can't have an Introduction section at the top?

Sugar

Baked
User ID
changed your mind now have you?
I recall you referring to me as being sick and twisted for wanting mods to do their job and crack down on abuse...

Pikey

Baked
User ID
I have to, respectfully, disagree with you there. It is this forum's stance on censorship that makes it stand out from every other generic 'Type 56' cannabis hobbyist forum. To my understanding, that is part of the very reason it came to be. There are plenty of other places to go where people can delude themselves to the existence of polite society... here it is, as in the real world and that gives it a certain credibility (in my books). If the Admin/Mods were to start censoring members, I believe that would be the very catalyst to the failure of this forum. I have seen it happen before :(

For years, I was actively involved in, what was the "premier", fish breeding/keeping forum in Australia. It went through multiple reincarnations, and believe me it had it's troubles... it had it's smart arses, hot heads and what some may call psychos (there where in-person meet ups on more than one occasion to settle arguments). However, it was home to some of the most experienced and knowledgeable people on the subject I have ever had the pleasure to converse with. I made more connections and learnt more from that forum than I could have in decades of fish keeping/breeding. Until that is, the "PC police" moved in and applied pressure through the sponsors (who, I might point out were doing a roaring trade through members, so much that they could afford to expand their business).

These status hungry wankers had little to no input in the forum, they had fuck all knowledge to share, they contributed nothing to their fellow fish keepers, nor the community. Yet they felt entitled to demand that they not be offended. Long story short (could write a book about it) censorship ensued and all the members worth a pinch of shit eventually left taking their knowledge, wisdom and FREE advice with them. What was once a vibrant forum is now a ghost town, and the sponsor's business has since folded. Fish people (real hobbyists who dedicate their lives to it) are rough around the edges... similar it seems to Canna folk. I'm pretty sure, none of us are in this hobby because we like being told what we can and cannot do :unsure:

Anyway... I'm not trying to have a go, nor saying that you are wrong. I just wanted to share my views and experiences on the subject. Sponsorship is great, but not the only way to support a community. There are many ways to raise the funds to keep a free online community afloat if it has happy and supportive members who feel free to express themselves.

Sorry, I hadn't intended on that turning into a rant (fuck I must be getting old )... I'll shut up now :ROFLMAO:

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
I have to, respectfully, disagree with you there. It is this forum's stance on censorship that makes it stand out from every other generic 'Type 56' cannabis hobbyist forum. To my understanding, that is part of the very reason it came to be. There are plenty of other places to go where people can delude themselves to the existence of polite society... here it is, as in the real world and that gives it a certain credibility (in my books). If the Admin/Mods were to start censoring members, I believe that would be the very catalyst to the failure of this forum. I have seen it happen before :(

For years, I was actively involved in, what was the "premier", fish breeding/keeping forum in Australia. It went through multiple reincarnations, and believe me it had it's troubles... it had it's smart arses, hot heads and what some may call psychos (there where in-person meet ups on more than one occasion to settle arguments). However, it was home to some of the most experienced and knowledgeable people on the subject I have ever had the pleasure to converse with. I made more connections and learnt more from that forum than I could have in decades of fish keeping/breeding. Until that is, the "PC police" moved in and applied pressure through the sponsors (who, I might point out were doing a roaring trade through members, so much that they could afford to expand their business).

These status hungry wankers had little to no input in the forum, they had fuck all knowledge to share, they contributed nothing to their fellow fish keepers, nor the community. Yet they felt entitled to demand that they not be offended. Long story short (could write a book about it) censorship ensued and all the members worth a pinch of shit eventually left taking their knowledge, wisdom and FREE advice with them. What was once a vibrant forum is now a ghost town, and the sponsor's business has since folded. Fish people (real hobbyists who dedicate their lives to it) are rough around the edges... similar it seems to Canna folk. I'm pretty sure, none of us are in this hobby because we like being told what we can and cannot do :unsure:

Anyway... I'm not trying to have a go, nor saying that you are wrong. I just wanted to share my views and experiences on the subject. Sponsorship is great, but not the only way to support a community. There are many ways to raise the funds to keep a free online community afloat if it has happy and supportive members who feel free to express themselves.

Sorry, I hadn't intended on that turning into a rant (fuck I must be getting old )... I'll shut up now :ROFLMAO:
Well said ya old cunt. 🤣

evilsurfer

Germinating
User ID
I have to, respectfully, disagree with you there.
Thats fair enough.

I guess it depends on what the purpose of this place is. I've only been here a few days and have gone through some of the threads front to back to get a gauge on the place and it feels very much like OSA which i abandoned because it felt like an abusive slagging fest.

I was first a member of the 420magazine forum which was filled with new users and had a nice culture. I went to OSA to try and find some locals who share the same passion. Unfortunately it felt like a close knit gang who ruled the place calling everyone DC's.

So far i can't say this place stands out Pikey, it seems exactly the same as OSA. I haven't seen much advice handed out either, but then maybe i haven't looked hard enough.

We're all (I assume) adults and can handle swear words being thrown around, but after a while it gets tiring and doesn't really bring anything to the place.

Anoma

Resident Celebrity
Community Member
User ID
Stick around for a while. Sure there's a lot of slagging matches between some people but I've gotten some good advice from people and so has oz88, I'm sure others have too.

If you need advice then don't be afraid to ask. As long as you listen and don't be a dickhead then people here can be quite helpful with info.

Sugar

Baked
User ID
Being subjected to abuse shouldn't be a right rite (grammar nazis here :sneaky:) of passage to being here.

Also, Oz88 may not necessarily agree with your summary of his experience here Anoma.

Last edited:

Pikey

Baked
User ID
@evilsurfer : Yeah, I see your point mate. I'll admit, when I first arrived, I was almost put off by the slanging matches and bickering myself. But I stayed and found that amongst all that there were some very knowledge and experienced heads here that are more than happy to help.

Sure, there are some strong characters here, but that is true of any walk in life. I just ignore the BS, take from it what I need and maybe have a little giggle along the way. It's my choice if I want to be triggered by a comment or just laugh it off and let 'em keep fishing.

I'd rather cop abuse and brush it off then go down the road of censorship. But that's just me and I fully understand that may not work for others :)

Dotts

HPS turncoat
Community Member
User ID

I was gonna start breeding fish.......but after reading that I'm gonna give you crazy cunts a wide birth!

Pikey

Baked
User ID
Being subjected to abuse shouldn't be a rite of passage to being here.
Totally agree with you there Sugar! But unfortunately it's (in my experience) a part of life that is unavoidable. Some things in life just suck but that's what makes the rest of it good ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom