Bug Droppings??

czedd

Germinating
Community Member
User ID
I have two outdoor plants in pots. Both have these round balls under leaves. I have inspected plants and can't find anything moving. Could this be some sort of bug dropping or maybe eggs of some type. Is there a treatment for this and has this ruined the plant?

Attachments

• Bug Droppings.JPG
    Bug Droppings.JPG
    616.3 KB · Views: 23

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

czedd

Germinating
Community Member
User ID
On closer inspection with a magnifying glass I found a few of these tiny winged insescts. I have taken a photo with a 200X Smartphone Microscope.

Attachments

• bug.JPG
    bug.JPG
    280.3 KB · Views: 20

czedd

Germinating
Community Member
User ID
Thanks itchybro, Great information. So from my understanding I just let them do their job as quoted they are "important agents of biological control" and used as an alternative to insecticides. Am I right in assuming that I dont need to control this outbreak of Aphidius???

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
it's up to you , but your in flower & really don't want to be spraying a pesticide on something your going to ingest in some way or another in the near future , you will already will be ingesting many things other than canna flower at this point , might be better to not add to that

missrachael

Vegetating
User ID
On closer inspection with a magnifying glass I found a few of these tiny winged insescts. I have taken a photo with a 200X Smartphone Microscope.
Great pic @czedd....I've had a couple of those egg sites this year too. Thanks for the ID @itchybro, will look them up. I'm thinking of buying in specific predatory mites/eggs & ladybugs for next season...just disovered you can order them online which is a bit fascinating.

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
you could also put extra effort into plant health as a proactive measure to help the plant defend itself , because as a side effect of doing that all other measures of success can be increased = yield , smell , flav , potency , etc etc
extreme plant health = maximizing plant potential 😉

missrachael

Vegetating
User ID
you could also put extra effort into plant health as a proactive measure to help the plant defend itself , because as a side effect of doing that all other measures of success can be increased = yield , smell , flav , potency , etc etc
extreme plant health = maximizing plant potential 😉
Absolutely, always working on my soil. Predatory mites were discussed in a youtube video by a couple of weed scientists in the US so thought I'd look it up here.

Mellow oldfark

Trichome Enthusiast
User ID
Those little wasps can sting on masse too, although more on a mozzy scale.
But quite surprising when 50 or more lash out in anger.🦟

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
if your talking about the ones i posted @Mellow oldfark

Description. Aphidius species are a group of native parasitic wasps, frequently found parasitizing aphids in greenhouses and outdoor crops. Adults are tiny (2-3 mm long), dark colored wasps that do not sting humans.

if your talking about the one in the pic we'd need to make a positive id to know for sure they will or won't sting humans but in general don't fuck with wasps they will sting you & they'll do it multiple times the lill fuckers

Top Bottom