BakedCake's Mushroom Cultivation Adventure

Bakedcake

Vegetating
User ID
So mushroom cultivation had piqued my interest after reading some books from Terence & Dennis McKenna, which then lead me to Paul Stamets and his work with mycology and that of the cultivation and identifications of Psilocybin & Psilocin containing fungi.

Mushroom Cultivator - A Practical Guide to Growing Mushrooms at Home - Paul Stamets.pdf

So me being the tight-arse Scottish bastard I am, we went low budget so no pressure cooker, though if you can get one or if you own one use it for the sterilisation process as this will save a lot of contamination problems. So this is for the home cultivator who doesn't want to spend a hell of a lot, has time to kill and wants another hobby to get away from their partner with some additional rewards at the end of it. These techniques can be used or are still an outline of growing the Psilocybe & other varieties of edible/gourmet/medicinal mushrooms. This is was my first time, I am no expert and I made quite a lot of mistakes, because I am impatient and I had not fully done all the research when i began, but hey we still got something to grow and in no more than 5 weeks - Where's your fast autos now? :p Jokes

This was my first flush of some Panaeolus Cyanescens Alabama (Variety of the Blue Meanies) not much but they are something
IMG_8573.JPG

So where do you begin, where does the journey start. Well like any reputable person of society you just look in the far reaches of the internet no doubt to find the supplier. Most places will advise these products are for microscopy use only. That's cool just roll with it like Canna seeds as souvenirs :)

Personally I found mine through a subreddit, you can find vendors that are local or will ship worldwide. My example it came from Europe and cost me no more than a 10 Euro Amazon Gift Card. The people are so generous i even got a second print for free of another species. So this leads into the first part Spore Prints, Spore Syringes, Liquid Culture etc.

If you are shipping them internationally i would prefer to lean the spore print side for ease of getting in the country, if there is a vendor local to your area then go the liquid culture or spore syringe as this saves time with going through agar. Again though we don't want to spend money and was all for the learning experience so I got spore prints. One of the common Psilocybe Cubensis (Golden Teachers) which i still haven't had luck growing yet, but i had luck with the Pan. Cyan. above.

So I started some new spore germination on the Golden Teachers this weekend and we will see if we can make a proper poor man guide without it going to shit.

The process I will be going through is Agar - making Nutrient Enriched Agar and getting the spores on them, Sectoring a strong candidate, Grain Spawn, monotub colonisation and casing to fruit.

For making agar which will allow the spores to germinate and then grow into their mycelium body you will need a few following items -
  • Agar-Agar Powder - this is a powder which become gelatinous on cooling similar to gelatine.
  • Malt Extract Powder or Syrup
  • Dry Yeast
  • Water
  • Jar
  • Tin Foil
  • Pot large enough for steam sterilisation
  • Baby Jars, Petri Dishes to pour the dish into
  • Gloves
  • Rubbing alcohol in a mister - or if you have Isopropyl Alcohol 99% lying around dilute that down to a 70% rate with water.
  • Scalpel/Razor
Fun fact: Isopropyl Alcohol is more effective against bacteria, fungi/molds & viruses between 60-90% dilution rate with water than the straight 99% alcohol itself, i believe this is with water it allows a greater contact time with the surface before evaporating. 70% though is the golden number.

For my agar I always make too much but that's no worries haha, so in a 500ml jar I add teaspoon of Agar-Agar Powder, 1 1/2 teaspoon of Malt Extract Syrup in my case and a teaspoon of dry yeast. Now we add the water and the lid and give it a shake.
IMG_8569.JPGIMG_8571.JPG
Now turn the lid half crank open, add wrap of tinfoil. Have a pot large enough to fit the jar in it with a lid on. I usually put a tea towel on the bottom of my pot to stop the glass directly touching the bottom. Fill the pot with water half way up the jar, bring it to a boil and allow it to boil for 30-45mins. This should sterilise the Agar before being poured and also to boil the liquid which is needed for it to set. Once this has done, leave the jar to cool until warm enough to handle. Do not be a high cunt and forget or else it will go jelly in the jar once it drops below 30c i think.
IMG_8572.JPG

Once this is done you are ready to pour your plates, with your Rubbing alcohol spray down the area where you will be doing the pouring, make sure no unnecessary wind drafts are coming through. There is millions of them in the air and the last thing you want is contaminated plates. If you want to spend money you can get flow hoods and Still Air Boxes (SAB) or build one, which will mitigate the risk of contamination.
IMG_8578.JPG
Once your area is clean your gloved up, get your dish of choice to pour into. If using baby jars or another common household item you can steam sterilise these with the agar process if you have room. I chose to get the pre-sterlised plastic petri dishes from a local science shop. Now make sure you know which way they are sitting and they are in an easy to grab angle as you want to open, pour and close as fast as possible. I fill my dishes a little over halfway. Leave these to sit until set.
IMG_8580.JPG

Now when the agar has set you can get some spores on there. With the spore print you obtained you can now sterlise your station up again and grab the print and scalpel.
IMG_8581.JPG

Now you are wanting to scrape a little of the print with your scalpel and then flake them into your dishes, again try do this as fast as possible if not working in a sealed environment.
IMG_8582.JPG

Now seal with tape, mark them dates etc. and stack them in a suitable place anywhere warm around the 25-28c. I like to stack the lid side down, this just stops condensation of the top of the dishes dripping back down onto them.
IMG_8584.JPG

So now we wait for the next step. More to come and I shall put up a quick build on a monotub in the next day or so :)

Attachments

• Mushroom Cultivator - A Practical Guide to Growing Mushrooms at Home - Paul Stamets.pdf
    22.7 MB · Views: 19

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

elsooto

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Very cool write up so far bc. Have done some reading up on the shroom growing as well, think i might do a test run with some gourmet varieties first, test the environment and see what i can mess up lol. I reckon i will use a monotub also, spawn some grain and use either coco/verm or pasteurized straw as substrate.
Thanks for the share, mate.. keen to follow along.

Bakedcake

Vegetating
User ID
Nice Soots thats what i like to see!

Well whilst I am here, i better whack the quick Monotub construction up - again you can modify this your own way. This is just what i watched and worked for me :)

Materials you will need -
  • Tub with lid - bought from Bunnings, I am using a larger 30L tub i think for this build - the Pan Cyans were grown in a 15L tub
  • Polyfill - Polyester Filling - Can be found at craft stores/Spotlight - Optional
  • Hole Saw - Optional
  • Black Spray Paint/Bin Liners - Optional
  • Duct Tape - Optional
All optionals were used here - If you do not want to use you dont have to and I will do my best to explain what to do if not using them.

Alright and to begin, travel to your local Bunnings/Mitre 10, Countdown/WoolWorths, Kmart and purchase a suitable tub with a lid, i should mention get the transparent tubs. So you can see colonisation of the tub without opening the lid. Also some species will begin fruiting with introduction of 12/12 light cycles.

Once you have obtained this and any other supplies you may want to use, it starts - if you dont get anything optional. well fuck your done. Please hold on.

If you had gotten the spray paint then get some tape go around you bin - dont get the cheap stuff it just peeled off :D, i go about 10-15cm up from the bottom - depends on your tub size really. If you have bin liners you can line the inside of the bin at the end just make sure they are black. If you do not want to use the liners or spray paint. Just be aware you can get side pins - these are mushrooms that grow on the side of the tub - not that they are bad i would just say cunty to harvest - though i have no experience in it so go for it if you like.

IMG_8587.JPG

Now we want some holes for gas exchange, but not too much and we also dont want to let contaminants from the air in. Well we can drill no holes - this works though when you are fruiting you may have to 'fan' your tub to keep the environment right for mushroom growth, this will require you to remove the lid and give it a fan out every so often. Species may vary on the amount of fanning needed. Other options I have seen are drilled holes all around with and then taped over with micropore tape. I use the method where i drill with a 2" hole saw and fill with polyfil, this acts a mini filter. then I duct tape these on the outside.

IMG_8588.JPGIMG_8589.JPG

Now you dont want it sticking to much on the inside so what i do is, after taping on the outside i just push them from the inside out to minimise the bunch. There it is all done. Monotub ready to go.

IMG_8590.JPG

User ID
Thanks Baked Cake, i used this once to try to grow Subs on home :( sadly they didnt take and little myc was there didnt last as dried out, my mess up, migth try it again, esp since its pretty cool and damp here in winter since sun is late to arrive in the mornigns and rainforest is pretty shady, my dream was a sub filled yard, cubes easy to get at the council park were they left cows roam, and some really nice species of Cubensis
cubewithvail.jpg
cubes.jpg

Awesome set up there Bro for growing shrooms. I have to try it again sometime. I got the spores for the subs from a member on Shamans Forum here in Australia, i bought a year membership and he would send them, not sure he does anymore since i have not bee back there for sometime

Bakedcake

Vegetating
User ID
Ok so I hadn't checked on the plates for a while.

Well this one was thrown out - Along with a 2 others - ahhh the numbers game
IMG_8611.JPG

Any way, we have this one here - we can see where the we have a few different bodies showing. I have taken sectors from the top one and the one below it.
IMG_8615.JPG

As there were a huge number of spores that land on the plate you will get a multi-spore germination on the dish. Now like Cannabis they can have the same genetics with some differences like phenotypes. Now when i started I never knew of all this and went straight agar to grain - there is no issue with this and it will work. Though with multi-spore grows I have seen that you can get uneven flushes and also mentioned is they tend to grow more in clusters rather than a nice canopy, there is most likely more ramifications also. You can action what is called 'sectoring' to get a single 'pure' mycelium body. I am no expert on this so please read the book at the start of the thread for more detail, though the objective is to single out where the spores meet and create a body.

From memory though i could be all shit, is that the spores are needed to pair. Each pair is like a - and +, each spore sends out a network of hyphae (individual thread name within mycelium, mycelium is the collective name of hyphae), when it intersects with a match it creates the second mycelium body which then produces the vegetative body. I could be butchering this so again please read the book :p

When i have seen people sector they will find the intersect and then cut that piece out to another agar plate to then have their 'pure/single' strain.

Quick snippet from the book of the life cycle -
11.PNG

Bakedcake

Vegetating
User ID
So from the 2 plates I had, one success and one failed. As even the potato cam you can still see it.
IMG_8622.JPG
Anyway I also had done something else a while back as a first and seems to have worked well so far, I had a some spare rye grain sterilized in bags. I didnt have a spore syringe so what i done was I created a mycelium water syringe. Essentially a colonised agar dish which you pour distilled water on, suck up with a syringe and then use that to spawn grain.

This was the agar dish which was just cut from another agar dish
IMG_8576.JPG
This was the water on the plate and sterile needle
IMG_8577.JPG
Then with the sterilised bag, squirt into the grain and cover with tape. I just used duct tape :)
IMG_8579.JPG

I shall chuck an updated photo of the bag and how it looks tomorrow.

As a side note, you can also use this technique and spawn Uncle Ben's Brown Grain Rice Microwave bags. I am yet to try as i do not own a microwave though i have spawned with brown rice in jars with success

For Uncle Ben Rice Tek and to check the comprehensive guide - .

elsooto

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Thanks for the share, bc. Ive been reading up plenty, joined reddit an found someone giving away prints, sent a msg but dunno if cos of being a new member but no reply lol. Can buy a tasmanian sub print for $15 tho so might go that way, or another vendor has syringes. Gonna try those pre cooked rice packs and also make some pf cakes and spawn both to coco

Bakedcake

Vegetating
User ID
Haha nice thats what I like to hear :D

So here is the rye grain bag from a day or so ago (I shook it up the previous day), I may spawn it to some horse poo/straw mix tomorrow.Hopefully the potato wants to play game :p
IMG_8634.JPG

Bakedcake

Vegetating
User ID
So the tub I had going had the end of its final flush - pulled the left overs pins off
IMG_8647.jpg

I had time so I got the new tub ready so fingers crossed no contams.

I start by pasteurising the Horse Poo and Straw - This is my choice of substrate due to cost and availability, plus i have read people say i increases overall potency and yield (my guess is it still has nutrients to breakdown and absorb unlike and inert substrate like coco) - Costs me $2 for a massive bag of shit - has no smell is super dry. You want aged manure that has leached out its ammonia, if you feel it has not leached out laying out and wetting it and allowing it to dry a few times should help this. An indication of good poo I read is the sign of 'Firefang' growing, this is a beneficial microbe and is white in appearance.
IMG_8642.JPG

Break the poo up (who doesnt love to get their fingers in it) and wet it to 'Field capacity' - Field capacity should be a known by growers in my opinion, though for purpose a brief run down of field capacity is when your substrate is not sopping wet but where you can get a handful, squeeze and you begin to get drips of water, at a hard squeeze of the substrate in your hand then a steady stream of water. Breaking the poo up and re-hydrating it takes a bit of time but hey who doesnt like to get your hands in shit. Once this is done we want to wrap it up in tinfoil to pasteurise in the oven (this doesnt smell if the poo is leached of all ammonia). I like to use the turkey/BBQ tinfoil trays as you can see. This needs to be pasteurised for 2hours at 60-80c.
IMG_8644.jpg

The straw pastuerisation is a bit different - i read about not doing this in the oven as it will stink your house and oven out. So water is the way to do it. I had some 1gal Hash bags which were far too small so at least they have another use. Chop the straw up as small as you can for faster colonisation. Boil the water and then let it drop - I usually drop the bags in at 90c and then turn the heat off. get these fully submerged and let them sit for an hour.
IMG_8645.jpg
IMG_8646.JPG

Now let those drain and the Poo should be done now so we can let that cool, mix the poo and straw together and get the tub ready - give the tub a clean down with a spray of alcohol and a wipe. Now with your spawned grain layer that between your substrate in your tub - make sure to make it as even possible.

Now we wait.
IMG_8648.JPG
IMG_8649.JPG
IMG_8650.JPG

Bakedcake

Vegetating
User ID
I should add my tub in total pulled around 100g of wet mushrooms - though we know wet weights are not what counts haha but with mushrooms being at around 90-92% water, we are left around with about 8g of mushrooms. I am no super tripper and even just half a gram is quite a decent smack with these little bastards, so I have a good few there or a couple near emergency calls :D.

Bakedcake

Vegetating
User ID
Thanks Soots, well over the last month i felt i was picking them every 4 days or so. I would say i prob had 4 flushes and the days in between were collection of mushrooms thats were immature on the first flush.

Top Bottom