Aye’s Cacti Grows

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
So I’ve finally got myself a San Pedro pup. Hopefully one of many I plan to grow. This guy isn’t big but should grow at least a foot tall in a year. So this will be a rather long grow log.

I want to grab a few more cacti, peyote would be amazing (which I’m working on getting) but I’ll start with an easier one.616B3608-9622-480F-A275-FF002C0FC95C.jpeg
CC029E12-FE05-4EDE-958A-92E0E10A0820.jpegEA1A89FB-FAD7-4569-8820-0AF700CF3257.jpegCEB70E8B-8C11-448D-854F-9C83C2845FBD.jpeg
Pretty simple set up. I let him callus at the bottom for a week and half. Grabbed an old pot. Cactus soil and straws to brace him up until the roots grow into the soil.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now
D

Deleted member cpr

Herbalistics in qld use to sell all kinds of mesculine cactus. 20 years back I got a peyote, and something to graft it onto (Peruvianus?) Also got a khat plant from them. I reckon an email to them might prove fruitful, if you're chasing such plants.

frankreynolds

Curing
User ID
yeh would of been peruvianus or pachanoi as the root stock if it was a larger variety, pereskiopsis if it was a seedling (can do tricho as well bit more finicky)

Shaman australis was a good place, i got quite a few of my named tricho cuts from the forum. havent been around there in years though.

I wouldn't get a bunch of tricho crosses if you are looking for alkaloid content rather get some pachanoi or certain peruvianus varieties that are known for there high alkaloid content.

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
Thanks for the info.
Checked out both Herbalistics and Sharman Australis too.
Herb... has a good selection. SA not as much atm but like you said. Lots of hybrids from both places.
I think I’ll grab some pachanoi seeds and maybe a bridgsii cutting.
I’ve also been looking at the precious cactus store based on Thailand. They have heaps of peyote seeds and plants. Just a bit pricy compared to local based seed packs.

frankreynolds

Curing
User ID
You do run the risk with quarantine bringing that stuff in, there should be quite a few Japanese and Czech republic sellers for variegated forms if that's your thing.

There is also a very large German seller, for the life of me I cannot remember the name of the company. But you could find locale specific varieties of Lophophora in seed form, like from specific counties in texas etc.

I do have a lophophora williamsi var. jourdania that is a bit of a prized possesion i started from seed.

If you do play around with cacti from seed, I recommend starting indoors under CFL's, cacti can be very tricky from seed especially varieties like Lophs. Also let me know if you plan on grafting seeds form a young age, i'll send ya some pereskiopsis cuttings as well if you do plan to best rootstock for that.

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
Yeah I seen a Japanese hybrid too.

I feel I’m still swimming in the kids pool with cacti. Though jumping in the deep end is a great way to learn. It’s what I did with shrooms.

Very cool. They are liked prized possessions when you grow them from seed.
I’ll certainly keep you updated once I get some seeds going in regards to the pereskiopsis. And I’ll probably hit you for a whole bunch of tips along the way.

Ferahgo

Seedling
User ID
I bought a 30cm San Pedro cutting about 9 years ago, it's planted in my front yard. 1st split from the original stalk is 2+m now and flowered for the first time this year. Hoping to see some more flowers this summer, they're quite the sight to see. Flower is as big as my head!

Ferahgo

Seedling
User ID
This is from March last year, pissing down with rain here so cbf taking a new photo. The central stalk is the original cutting, I overwatered it early on and it got some fungal issues but once I left it to it's own devices it settled down nicely. The smallest tine popped out September 2016.

Attachments

• p1j8x5dw.jpeg
    p1j8x5dw.jpeg
    692.1 KB · Views: 14

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
So my attempt at cacti seed germination failed. They contaminated with trich.
But I’ve started again. Lucky I kept half the seeds. This time I’ve used old strawberry punnets which allow for fae.
Two peyote and to San Pedro germinated so far. And no trich.

hopefully second go is better. Still a long game though.
7B893137-00AB-4DA2-8468-4FDCA77D4520.jpeg851B835C-3FCA-4872-9C2B-2EEFCDEB7A4C.jpeg

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
No so I’m not keeping them sealed. Found another tek that allows opening them to mist/water when needed. And the punnets have drainage holes too so hopefully no bad growth. But I’m aware opening too often could also be bad. Walking a fine line here. If it fails I think I’ll try and source another supply of seeds too. Two out of 12 isn’t a good germ rate

frankreynolds

Curing
User ID
Yeh mate, I found when I was doing large amounts of cacti seed for grafting that rot was my worst enemy.

I found best success 2 pots per sealed zip lock bag, pre soak with Fongarid using a mainly mineral based potting mix mix under cfls for early life. then slowly acclimatize them under shadecloth to the sun still in bags, then slowly opening the bags as they grow.

Goodluck, cacti seeds are tough.

R3za92

Baked
User ID
This is my little bean stalk. Was a pup that was on a cut I got give. But developed rot in the rootstock/base but I ended up saving this guy. 2 years strong on its own. Surprised it even threw roots being so small. Was only 40mm high when I removed it.3CF02A65-F09A-4C04-B5EA-EA3FCD92A6A5.jpeg

R3za92

Baked
User ID
Thanks for the info.
Checked out both Herbalistics and Sharman Australis too.
Herb... has a good selection. SA not as much atm but like you said. Lots of hybrids from both places.
I think I’ll grab some pachanoi seeds and maybe a bridgsii cutting.
I’ve also been looking at the precious cactus store based on Thailand. They have heaps of peyote seeds and plants. Just a bit pricy compared to local based seed packs.
Just so you know seeds will take years before you get a decent sized plant and up to a decade before you’ll get something big enough to harvest. Also so fucking easy to overwater seedlings. I fucked a 3 month old batch of peyote by overwatering them, they where only 2-3mm high and round, tiny as.

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
Just so you know seeds will take years before you get a decent sized plant and up to a decade before you’ll get something big enough to harvest. Also so fucking easy to overwater seedlings. I fucked a 3 month old batch of peyote by overwatering them, they where only 2-3mm high and round, tiny as.
Thanks. Yeah I know it’s a long game with growing from seeds but it’s a really cool idea to have an entire psychedelic garden one day.
And yeah I’ve read about the effects of overwatering. That’s why I used the punnets. Better drainage.

How often do you water that guy?

Top Bottom