Autopots vs blumats

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
I’ve been researching my next grow and already decided on coir/perlite. Though I’ve seen a few different systems and would like any input or recommendations on them.

These two autopot systems to start with. I like the single fabric pot as I can buy as many as I need. (Probably 3 max for my tent)
But the other one is a complete set just add medium. 59888E53-5183-47DE-9074-FCFFB9317F80.png

3065B870-8E2D-4FA7-9F55-4FDD6D708822.png

Or just using the pots I have with the blumats system

F0A41591-F975-41E2-ABCC-5AD98317FB5D.jpeg
Or any other preferred systems you can recommend.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Carbcon

Curing
User ID
I only used straight water, gravity fed.

I use a complete soil I don't really add to during the grow outside of the odd compost tea and top dress and sometimes don't bother.

Apparently it can be done but I have no experience with it. Nute brands that work well,what products to use to perhaps prevent clogging etc.

I approached it from a "fill the reservoir and fuck off for a week" kinda way once dialled in.

And that's what I did.

I was getting some spare parts (just a few fittings, had no failures) in a random hydro shop ages ago and ol mate there raved about them in Coco so surely with a stable reservoir and maybe just an a and b should be fine to use.

Probably don't want any kind of supply issues esp at start when dialling it in.

The moisture metres that they do ain't cheap at $80 a pop but handy as.

Soil grower different game but I was running 56 and 76 l pots with 2 moisture metres per pot, 2 maxis with 3-5 droppers per unit.

Didn't have a leak, not a single runaway (where the dropper doesn't turn off).

Had some really nice fast growth and just had to keep res topped up,check the numbers,cross reference with the plant and feel of the soil and adjust the unit accordingly, 1/8 of a turn makes a difference.

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
@Sedge.
soot said you have experience on the autopots.
I used them for one grow ,,plants were real happy in veg but once they started to flower they got wet feet,,yellowing and dying leaves ..
I pulled them out of the reservoirs after that ,,didn’t use them again.

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
I used them for one grow ,,plants were real happy in veg but once they started to flower they got wet feet,,yellowing and dying leaves ..
I pulled them out of the reservoirs after that ,,didn’t use them again.
Thanks mate that’s good to know. I’m already moving towards the blumats or even feed ring with a gravity fed watering line. This helps with that decision.

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
carb pretty much covered it all

never used blumats with coco myself but i understand standard synthetic coco A+B nutrients work well with them
although some additives could be a problem depending on the additive , i'm thinking any molasses based stuff
could cause a supply line problem , definitely do some research cos i'd have no idea when it comes to what's in
coco nutes & additives

i think you can find a fare bit of info on the sustainable village website in the US

you might need some extra bits & bobs depending on your setup , you can find them at hydro experts & not bunnings
but i would tend to go to eurolux-australia website & buy from them as they seem a little cheaper

the main thing that can cause issues with blumats is air , air bubbles in the supply lines or air around the carrots
when you push them into the medium , any large bits of aeration hard against the ceramic spike stopping the media
from incasing it can make the spike dry to quickly causing the valve to open & start watering to curtail the constant
drying spike

you can control these 2 things fairly easily by using a shut off valve at the end of your supply lines , it's just a tap , once
your setup but before you dial them in you can open the tap , running water through the lines until all air is removed
then turn it off & dial the system in , of cause you can just bend the supply line over on itself & tie it down with a cable tie
in place of the shut off tap/valve

as for pushing the carrot into a medium with lots aeration bits , you just need a small amount of plain coco without
aeration , push it into the media , pull it back out leaving a carrot divot & refill the divot with the airless media
then pushing the carrot back in through that airless media should seat it well for you , please keep in mind i've
never setup blumats in coco , only used these methods in soil

good luck Ayeydized hope that helps with whatever option you choose

Quokk@

Vegetating
User ID
I've used both systems.
With the Blumats and water-only soil, I had a couple of terrible runaways indoors and pulled the pin, ended up just hand watering for the remainder of the run.
I used the Blumats with 12 tomato plants, 1 standard carrot per pot. Was able to holiday in WA for 10 days and the plants were fine when I returned. By keeping a constant moisture content, the soil biology is super healthy which grows happier plants.
The last indoor run I used 3 of the 2-pot Autopot trays with 2 gal fabric pots with 30/70 perlite/coco and Canna Coco A&B. Grew the biggest Autos I've ever grown.
I did have similar issues to Sedge with a couple of plants but I think I was swapping pots around and messed up the watering level.
I'm running the Autopots again soon as I'm quite happy with the simplicity.

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
Thanks guys. Definitely giving me food for thought.
Seen these too. Simple yet they seem very idiot proof
1ADC0E1D-0002-4F8A-A550-B0803F2223F1.png2112EA98-340A-41D9-BAFD-20D4A028CF11.png

So here is a thought. Would 2-3 carrots to a pot provide optimal water coverage.
I’m reading that coir growing is all about wide water saturation that maximises root growth.

frankreynolds

Curing
User ID
So what sized pots do you plan to use? Do you have to have it automated?

if you are going coco i would recommend just having a res and hand watering every day or other day depending on pot size versus plant size.

If you have to have it automated and gravity fed id go blumats.

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
if you are going coco i would recommend just having a res and hand watering every day or other day depending on pot size versus plant size.

The more I read the more I’m feeling just hand watering is the best lol. I’m only looking at 2-3 plants and I never have to be away from home over night.

If I go soil again I think I’ll use the blumats to help me not overwater.
but I’m going to try coir next run and I’ll be able to do at least two hand waterings per day

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
yeah don't use those blumat classics unless your using them for house / indoor plants which they work great for

a blumat drip system will keep the moisture where you set it consistently through the whole grow , giving you minimal wet / dry periods
not suggesting blumats are the best choice , the best choice is what you feel comfortable choosing

R3za92

Baked
User ID

Agreed hand watering coco is the best way to start out. Than once you get sick of hand watering move onto res based systems.

Top Bottom