Anyone fancy some Math?

Wargul

Vegetating
User ID
Warning, this is off topic. I have a still that produces 60% alcohol. As per instructions on the box, I distill 700ml and add 300ml of water to make 1 litre of 40%. A friend I keep oiled with vodka asked for 50%. I thought this would be easy enough but got stuck on the math. If the spirit was distilled at 100% or close to it the math would be simple but it is a lot more difficult when working with a 60/40 spirit water mix.

So here is my question - if I have 100ml of 60% spirit, how much water do I add to cut it back to 50%? I suspect this is easy and I'm overthinking it. If you get an answer can you please detail how you worked it out.

Cheers, Bill

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Wargul

Vegetating
User ID
cheers BG. I never thought to google a calculator.
Yep, 0.10 liters of alcohol with 60.00 %vol mixed with 0.02 liters of water produce
0.12 liters of alcohol with 50.00 %vol.

I came a cropper because I was trying to keep the final volume the same. It did my head in.

Thanks guys.

Wargul

Vegetating
User ID
Can u do u double distill to increase%?✌

I really don't know O'Fark. Everything I've read about air stills says "dilute before re-distilling". I would love to make close to pure ethanol so I didn't have to buy Isopropyl alcohol, but I'm pretty sure air stills can't do that. It was a waste of money really as my dodgy liver precludes me from drinking. I give most of the vodka I make away.

Top Bottom