A few questions for the brains trust...

4twenty

Germinating
User ID
I love weed. I love to smoke it. I love the feeling I get from smoking it. I've been ripping cones for 30+ years. The last decade, it's more a casual thing, something I binge on for a few weeks, or a couple of months - then I take a break for a while.

This isn't completely by choice. Sometimes it's my ability to find a regular supply where I live. I also have kids that know what I do, but it's not something that I advertise in front of them (unlike my oldies did). And sometimes I just like to go cold turkey for a bit so when I do have a smoke, it gets me nice and fucked up.

The other reason for my lack of total commitment to Ms. MJ these days is the other Mrs in my life. She accepts that's it's something I like to do and doesn't have a problem with it, but it's not something that she's into, more so the legalities of it - happy wife, happy life - or some bullshit like that.

So, over the last couple of years, she has been suffering from some chronic leg muscle and joint pain. She's had numerous tests, been on various prescription pills, all of which have failed to rectify or relieve her of her symptoms and doctors are at a loss as to what to do.

Recently, I've been spinning the pro weed campaign to her "weed is a harmless organic plant", "people are pumping themselves with prescription pills like they're TicTacs", "we're living with outdated laws, it will be legal soon enough", "medicinal stuff is helping people all over the world".

I've suggested to her the benifits of MC, but I really don't know much about it, or the process of acquiring it.

I've had a read over the MC forums here but I'm left with a few questions that she has asked me, that I don't have answers to so we can start investigating this topic further.

If you've lasted this long (cheers), maybe you could chime in on a these few basic queries so we can delve into the subject a little deeper;

• There are no psychoactive effects from CBD correct? - she does not want to be stoned.

• Can you legally operate a motor vehicle while under the influence of medicinal CBD?

• What costs are involved, from seeking prescriptions & purchasing CBD?

• Can health card holders receive a discount?

• How often should it be administered if you are in constant pain?, daily?, multiple times a day?

• What dose is required?

• What are the ongoing (weekly/monthly) costs for a user to receive relief daily?

If anyone has any insight to some of these, or good links where I can read somewhere that would get us started, that would be a great help.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

3combs

Germinating
User ID

Haven't gone medical yet, but have been looking. So many companies offering this service now. Some offer health card discounts around 10%. Far as have heard, can't drive in any state but tassie with cannabinoid metabolites in your spit. Pot docs would answer the rest. Good luck with it.

User ID
Nah pretty sure CBD is fine, but must not contain any THC. Saying that, NFI what actually shows up on the test so dont take this as gospel lol.

But... hemp derived CBD isolate (and full spectrum;)) oil is legally available online to anyone, Misses buys it, available in various strengths, no script needed.

Not cheap though. Dont fall for the $5 'CBD' oil from Ali express etc, its hemp seed oil at best. :ROFLMAO:

veritas629

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
I'll offer some info. I have MC script and have use a few products regularly I have a high THC flower (Sensi Star at the moment), 1:1 CBD:THC flower (Warlock CBD), and 10mg:10mg (aka 1:1) CBD:THC oral use oil. I still enjoy a lot of my own high THC homegrown flower too.

• There are no psychoactive effects from CBD correct? - she does not want to be stoned. Correct. However, CBD does have a "feeling". Not stoned or really intoxicating, but it may be something new to your wife. Do your own research, but it is generally accepted that even a little THC in your CBD makes a big difference for pain. A synergistic effect. This is also my own experience. But her body might react different and if it makes her more comfortable using 100% CBD & 0% THC, go for it!

• Can you legally operate a motor vehicle while under the influence of medicinal CBD? Seems to be a grey area and I've gotten all the different answers you can get. BUT, road side testing is for THC, not CBD. So I'm not sure there is a way for the coppers to nail you...

• What costs are involved, from seeking prescriptions & purchasing CBD? This varies widely by the specific product and the chemist. Regardless, all of the options are far more expensive than the traditional black market.

• Can health card holders receive a discount? Not that I know of, but I don't have a card.

• How often should it be administered if you are in constant pain?, daily?, multiple times a day? This will depend mostly on your wife's own body and symptoms. I find the 10:10 oil very helpful even in small doses. Twice a day for me. The flower I "sip" on all evening. But this is for pleasure as well as medical.

• What dose is required? See above.

• What are the ongoing (weekly/monthly) costs for a user to receive relief daily? Covered above. If ya can homegrow, it'll always be the best price you can find!

R3za92

Baked
User ID
Nah pretty sure CBD is fine, but must not contain any THC. Saying that, NFI what actually shows up on the test so dont take this as gospel lol.

But... hemp derived CBD isolate (and full spectrum;)) oil is legally available online to anyone, Misses buys it, available in various strengths, no script needed.

Not cheap though. Dont fall for the $5 'CBD' oil from Ali express etc, its hemp seed oil at best. :ROFLMAO:
“Legally available online” is a bit of a stretch. Available online yes but legal not really seeing as they’d need to be tga approved (which none are) and can only legally be purchased over the counter from a pharmacist if you can find one who stocks cbd.

Merl1n

Blooming
User ID
OK, so I'll 'try' to answer your questions (to the best of my ability)

-There are no psychoactive effects from CBD correct?
Correct, BUT although strains are sold as CBD, it still contains some THC. My CBD bud meds say <2% THC or less than 2% THC.

-Can you legally operate a motor vehicle while under the influence of medicinal CBD?
The roadside tests detect THC, not CBD. But any detection of THC, even low dose can land you in court. Presently, There's a bit of a debate going on in each state regarding medical canna and driving. I'm on some high dose opiates (prescribed) and I can get higher on those than canna. I can still legally drive with the opiates.

-What costs are involved, from seeking prescriptions & purchasing CBD?
This can really depend on how you obtain the CBD. Obtaining it via a dr there are a couple of govt/PBS/TGA approvals required, both of which charge a fee. The costs/fees may have changed since my approvals were done 2-3yr ago but it cost around $800 just for the GP approval and the govt approvals (without any medication). The cost of the meds themselves, that can vary HEAPS. Because the meds are not listed on the PBS the pharmacy can charge as they see fit. My local pharmacy won't stock it and the closest pharmacy that does is over 100km from me. When I enquired on costs the closest pharmacy want to charge almost double what I can get it for from Victoria, so it pays to check around for the best deal. Some pharmacies will give a pensioner discount, some won't. Some charge a courier fee, some don't. So I'd recommend having a ring-around to find the best deal.

-How often should it be administered if you are in constant pain?, daily?, multiple times a day?
Just like with many pain management medications it really can be a case of 'As is required'. For a seasoned smoker (me) it may take 4-5 cones/session but for a newbie 2 cones maybe enough (or too much),so trying to quantify a 'Therapeutic Dose' for each person is near on impossible.
And it's the same with cost. If you use more it costs more. For me it works out at around $100/wk but then as I say I'm a seasoned smoker and I'm using a THC medication, not CBD. So, my costs are higher.

Hope it helps
Merl1n

F

freddie

Just a few things to add.
There are lots of different options to get CBD oil if that's what you are after. I used a new company last week which had zero fees for example (humankind, humacology product).

The options for CBD oil are:
Full spectrum; CBD Oils with small amounts of THC, less than 0.3%, up to 1:1 or more CBD/THC.
Broad Spectrum oils with all cannabinoids apart from THC (I use one of these)
CBD isolate; which is just CBD, no other cannabinoids.

Random drug driving can test for THC but not CBD. Oils with no THC are right to use while driving. Any THC in a product might get picked up in a random oral swab and you can risk losing your licence. Tasmania is the only state with a defence for medical cannabis whilst driving. NSW and QLD are currently considering these laws. I use THC at night and CBD only during the day, but it is possible that THC might still register hours or even days after you last use it, so I run a risk.

CBD alone for pain works in some people but it works better the longer you use it, and works better with at least small amounts of THC. Some people swear that CBD alone is helpful for pain. In fact a few prominent sports people currently use it (ex NRL player Andrew Johns for example).

Doses are very individual. Oils are different strengths and it is the MGs of CBD that is important, not mls. My dose varies but is about 50-70 MG per day in 2 or three doses.

There are heaps of online recourses like reddit groups and a site called cannareviews which I urge people to sign up to. Bear in mind that reviews are individual and what someone likes, others don't.

puggle6

Baked
User ID
FWIW (and I'm going off memory of past research)

The oral test is for THC which binds to fat calls in the mouth when ingested (smoked, vaped or oil when taken orally)

CBD oil taken orally should not trigger a positive result, and THC edibles reportedly don't either as they are metabolized in the digestive system. (potentially THC oil drops at the back of the throat would also not trigger a positive)

Top Bottom