2x4 tent - two light options, can this work?

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
Hi forum,

I'm planning ahead to the summer when I need to rejig my setup and bring my 2x4 tent into the house to assist with temperature control (gets too hot where I've been running during winter). The problem I face is which of my two lights to run, and if it's even possible/sensible to try one of the options. So this is what I'm looking at:

I currently have a MH Fc4800 running in a 4x4 and also have a SF SF2000 in my 2x4. I was going to just use the SF2000 as it's the right form factor, but is slightly underpowered. So why not try and use the big boi instead? The FC4800 does have a hinge in the middle, so can be folded into a triangular shape. This would allow it to fit in the 2x4, but would be a bit unusual.

I've done some quick trig calcs and reckon that it'll be bent something like the attached diagram. This'll give 480 w instead of 200 w - though may need to dim it. The downside to running the triangular config is the question of un-even light spread and canopy management - did I mention height may also be a problem as it'll make the light around 40 cm tall (forgot to add that to the diagram) and the tent height is about 160 cm... so accounting for pot height, around 1 m available (which should be OK as I'm not intending to grow trees, just 1-2 in 3 gal pots).

Is this batshit insane or worth a go? Haven't seen anyone else doing this (and probably for reasons!). Appreciate you inputs

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 5

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
Big light is overkill for that space, and would heat up the small space in summer, as well as hurt your hip pocket. Use the smaller light.

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
Big light is overkill for that space, and would heat up the small space in summer, as well as hurt your hip pocket. Use the smaller light.
Yeah heat is definitely an issue. I'd more than likely have the light dimmed and driver outside the tent - but yeah gotta wonder if it's worth it at that point. Hopefully the SF2000 can do a decent job (I guess I'll just have to find out!)

Top Bottom